Sunday, February 24, 2008

kneeling und so weiter

Today in the zwischenzeit from when my train arrived in Bonn to when my tram came (on Sunday the public transportation doesn't come so often) I was able to wander around the city center of Bonn for a bit. I wanted to get a map of the area so that I could better orientate myself with the villages, and also see how far away everything is.


Anyway, I walked by the local ancient catholic church and realized that it was Sunday and would be open etc. I think it's probably usually open, but I thought maybe that there would be something special on Sunday. I was cold too, and since basically no shops are open on Sunday, except Starbucks--and I didn't want to buy coffee--I went into the church.


I guess I just don't understand where it has gone or why the practice of kneeling has been virtually forgotten in churches. It's such a good idea, so humbling; a good outward reflection of our smallness and lowly state before God. It's also very opening. To sumbit visually not only before God but to be seen by others as someone in need of help is humbling. There is much truth in saying that it is the heart that counts, but I must add that I think the act of bending the knee is also powerful as well as symbolic. True, it is possible to kneel and not have a submissive heart, but it's also hard to kneel and not feel small, vulnerable, and needy. "Come let us worship and bow down. Let us kneel before the Lord our God our maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of pasture, and sheep of His hand." -Ps. 95:6 also made into a song.


"Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord" ~verse made into song.



Anyway...here are some pictures of what I've been doing and such. I'll have to take more, I know, but I'm trying to get over my dislike of taking pictures in public or of people or with people watching me. It's ridiculous, I'm aware of this...

















Here is Amadeus. He's four and not shy at all. He talks a lot, but his German is surprisingly clear and fairly easy to understand...sometimes I haven't a clue what he's thinking though, and he often talks in phrases and exclamations of joy or dismay. He loves taking pictures with my camera and smiling with all his teeth.






This is Amelie. She's bright and fun. It was so warm on Saturday that we were outside with only or sweaters on, playing badminton together. 'Twas great.

This is the farm where Leonard and I picked went and got the milk. It's not quite a kilometer away. The village is so near the city, but retains so much village-ness. It's really cool.

No comments: