Friday, February 22, 2008

Germany

So I'm at an internet cafe and don't have much time. This is going to be brief.
I made it safely to Germany! The Von Bibra's are wonderful, and I am surviving. My brain is filled with so much German that I am processing rather slowly at the moment, but all is well.
My comment of the day is:
Commenting (In conversation, I mean) in and of itself is an art. I don't think I ever realized or appreciated it as much as I do now. The ability to make comments and interject is something that I've taken for granted and now realize is a very difficult thing to do... My ability to understand far outshines my speaking ability (which I hear is normal) so a lot of the time I think of a comment in my head and then promptly think, 'nope, better to just remain silent'....most of my comments, by the way, spring into my brain in English. I'll get better at it...

I with Leonard to get milk yesterday evening. The family buys there milk straight from the farm, and it's quite wonderful, actually. The village where they live isn't far from civilization but far enough for there to be a small dairy. It's very picturesque, lovely.

Another linguistic issue that I've encountered (and anyone who has spoken a language with different levels of formality will understand...) I seem to have a difficulty remembering, spur of the moment, which formality to use...and unfortunately what usually pops into my head is the informal, which could potentially be quite insulting... But everything seems to be going well. The family owns a guitar and a piano, and I was able to bring my violin, which is great!

Greetings to all...

Psalm 139:9 "If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hadn will guide me, your right hadn will hold me fast."

No comments: