10 reasons why becoming a runner/consistent exerciser is good for you (me), mind and body.
*There is no particular order and this list is not comprehensive...
1.your overall health increases
2.your perspective is changed for the better
3.you find out that your body can do a lot more than you ever thought possible
4.you learn self-control. No one is going to make you do it. No team. Nobody. You learn to follow through despite feelings/excuses.
5.physical training provides very applicable lessons/analogies for spiritual training (Paul mentions this in the New Testament)
6. your general energy level increases
7. you (generally) get a lot more done
8.you get a hearty appetite :-)
9.you (usually) sleep better
10.there's nothing like going from being the person who was a panting heap after 15 minutes jogging ("running is terrible, why am I doing this?") to running 8 solid miles and feeling invigorated afterwards.
I've generally been someone who kept myself in some form of physical fitness (walk several miles most days to school and back and around...), but up until approximately the end of my sophomore year of college, I would have told you that I really didn't like running. And that was the truth. Running was miserable, painful, and simply not fun. I'm not sure what inspired me to start running. Maybe it was that I ended up having tons of friends who were runners. Or maybe it is because Jane wanted to run a half-marathon with me. Maybe a combination of all things. Also, there's a lot of fun in a challenge (and deciding to run a half-marathon, if you've never done cross-country before, is a big challenge). So whatever got in to me, I don't really know.
So I encourage you: Buy a good book and try it out! (I highly suggest The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by Whitsett, Dolgener and Kole...probably also good for those of you who are runners but need a reasonable guideline/structure).
No comments:
Post a Comment