Friday, September 3, 2010

Periplaneta Americana

"They migrate by crawling or flying into structures often entering houses and apartments from sewers via the plumbing..."



The American Cockroach
aka Palmetto bug

As I was writing this (above) I walked to the bedroom to get my computer cable. Can you guess what I spotted on the way? You bet, a baby cockroach.


Watch out.

Pictured here on a piece of toilet paper (before I caught himand squashed him with the back of a spoon.)

If you read the top quote, you'll know why I didn't flush him.

Ok, so we haven't really had problems with cockroaches. We've (until now I think) only seen a dead one in our house. We saw a live one outside our front door, but that's it. Tim caught one last night in John and Megan's house (they garbage-disposalled it....kind of gross, very affective).

If you'd like to read some more, and wonder where I got my informational quote, you can read this article by Kathryn A. Barbara (University of Florida). It's quite informative. http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/roaches/american_cockroach.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! The one you found was really little! they are almost... cute... when they are that size. Easy to say when I'm not the one finding them :) Here's to hopefully not finding many more!

Carrie said...

So sorry...I'm surprised you didn't call to tell me this one...you must have been less afraid of the cockroach than you were of the spider. :)
I hope you don't find any more.
Love, Carrie