Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wednesday

This is my friend Crystal. We went to Ferdinand's yesterday so that she could taste and buy some cheese for her host mom, who (whom? I don't know what to do with the direct object in English. German doesn't add an 'm' ending to the direct object, and I don't know if English does it for the direct or just the indirect object...) she's going to visit over spring break.

(yes, it's cold in Pullman)

We got to see them working on the cheese. Look at those huge slabs of fresh cheese!
Just when we were walking out they started sending these slabs through a machine that broke them up into small pieces. That's a lot of cheese!
Here we are again!
I'm just going to be working on packing up for our trip south, which begins eaaarly tomorrow morning. Lord willing, my next post will be from Florida!

2 comments:

Colin Clout said...

I'm trying to remember my Old English cases. I think the acc. usually has an "n" and the dative, an "m". But Modern English doesn't differentiate (nor does Middle English). So technically, whom is correct.

The trouble is, English has lost so many of her inflections, it's really hard for us to tell if we're using the word as a subject or an object except whem it immediately follows a preposition or verb. Generally when we're speaking we wouldn't even know what the pronoun is going to do in its clause when we get to it's beginning. So "who" is more or less always correct, except when we say something like "to whom". But "whom" is also sometimes correct--but it looks really bad if we use "whom" where "who" is correct. "I gave the money to the man whom was trying to find a ride home."

Hilary said...

Thanks for the comment, Matt. Yes, 'who' is nearly always used, except with a preposition. 'Whom' is no longer necessarily used as a case-flag, so to speak, unless accompanied by the preposition (which makes it more or less obsolete? If the 'm' ending isn't really denoting anything, then it's just a hangover from the older English...maybe.) Haven't put much deep thought into that one, I was just thinking of it.