Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hope

Hope is an interesting thing. It always has a foundation. Sometime I lose sight of the foundation and then wonder why my hope is fading. Have I forgotten what my hope is?

My hope is Jesus Christ. Most basically, I have a true relationship with God and eternal life. This is because Jesus took the place of the punishment for my sin (and the sins of the whole world) when he died on the cross, and then he rose again, conquering death, and now he lives to constantly intercede for those who believe in him(for me!). This means that Jesus is my intercessor--and it allows me to come directly before God and to talk to him directly. It also means that Jesus' righteousness is given to me in place of my own filth, which he cleansed away by his own death in my place, and which he continually cleanses as I confess, repent.

But there is more hope. Mostly right now I'm thinking of the hope of God's promises and the truth of his word.

Sometimes the enormity and guilt of my sin nearly overwhelms me, and I lose sight of God's work and the promise of his sanctification. While it is good for me to see, to some extent, what God has rescued me from, it is not healthy to dwell on my own short-comings and failures. God says that "when we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness". So when confession is in line, then I need to confess and let God forgive me. And when he has forgiven me (which He is prompt and faithful to do), I need to be thankful to him and not to downplay the wondrous love that God has and displayed when he reached down and saved this sinner.

It's also very encouraging to know that God's work is not complete in those around us who believe in him, but that He will complete it. Sometimes it seems hopeless, but nothing is outside of God's grasp. "Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples" Psalm 77:13-14
and
"I thank my God every time I remember you...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil 1:3&6

I will trust in the Lord.

"I will give thanks to Thee, O Lord, among the people I will sing praises to Thee among the nations; for Thy steadfast love is great, is great to the heavens, and your faithfulness reaches to the skys."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Psalm 83:18 (King James Version)

18That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.