

Christiana and Martina starting their fire. There are usually 2 or 3 people to every fire/can...
Sarah!
This is Charity. She and mom had a pretty blazin' fire...
Emily and I starting our fire.
Vanessa cooking sausage. She and Kate worked together and made a pretty delux breakfast.

Kate and Vanessa eating their delux breakfast...
Annie helping Mercy cut some wood....
Emily's breakfast that we cooked together...she's a great worker buddy and helped me collect wood and all that we needed to keep our fire going!
Emily blowing on the fire...
Annie and Janet worked together and produced some pretty good looking food!

cooking some bacon...
Sarah with the amazing spatula that dad created usuing a piece of wood and a square of metal from the cans...
Dad
Noah John is a cheerful boy.
Emily and I
After helping people like crazy dad was able to cook some breakfast for himself...
Mercy and Martina
When things were winding down Noah heard that some people needed fire-booster so he went and gathered this. He's a thoughtful child.
Mom and I were trying to make her fire hot enough to be able to use the skillet to cook...
The wind started blowing and Kate caught these blowing-away plates with her feet...Annie stand and admires the feat...
Sarah, proud cooker of tasty pancake
After breakfast the kids were playing in the sand and found the biggest black widow that I've ever seen...
View from Grandma's back porch...
Noah setting his boat asail on the puddle...
Trudy was that last lone Hobo
Lots of people made boats to sail on the puddle...Annie peeling walnuts
After that we went up behind grandma's house on the mountain to help dad with the wood cutting. Dad, Annie, and I on the wood pile...
Helpers waiting for the truck to come so they can load the cut wood into it.
Annie would hand dad the new wood, dad would cut it, and then I would pull the cut pieces away and throw them on the pile...
Mom came with the truck and lunch.
Lunch break...
Hilary, Annie, Dad after finishing for the day...
These next pictures are of the Imperial's party.

whole pig roasted on a spit...















12 comments:
Ha! Great!! You all never cease to amaze me, this was one of the most enjoyable posts you've ever posted. Wish I was there cooking pancakes on a tin can, catching frogs (way to go, Mercy!) and haulin' wood
A really fun Saturday -- the family working & cooking together!
-- Mr M
The hobo breakfast reminded me of my Girl Scout days...I made the same kind of cooker out of coffee cans. I can practically smell my burnt offerings! Mrs. M
Thanks, Hilary for the photo essay! All the John's enjoyed it greatly! Wish we were there!
Grandma called on Sunday and told me all about it. She really enjoyed your visit.
Keep up posting lots of photos. The "Young Johns" love them.
Aunt Tess (posting in Stephanie's account)
What a great post. I remember walnut gathering at grandma's house. That was fun! I really enjoyed your pictures - wish I could be with your family sometime for some of the fun :)
I liked the pictures. They showed your affection for your family well.
I do, and I hope you don't mind this question, have a linguistic question though.
"Emily and I starting our fire."
"Emily and I"
"Emily and I"
"Dad, Annie, and I on the wood pile..."
Why, do you use "I" in these sentences? It seems to me that it should be "me" instead.
How should we answer the question "Who's next?"" Though if we made the answer a sentence "I am next" "he is next" it would seem we should answer "I" or "he", no one ever talks like that. We say "me" or "him".
I asked one of the linguistics professors at UI about this, and he said that though, yes, if we were to suppose "me" is shorthand for "me is next" it clearly should be "I", but it would be better to see "me" as stand alone, (he had some fancy word for this that I've forgotten), and to recognize that "I" is the subjective while "me" is the objective, and stand alone case of "I". (He said a similar thing happens in French where it would be wrong (according to the grammar books) to say "je" in similar situations, and instead you say "moi".)
So it would seem in the examples from this post "I" is neither the subject, nor object of a verb, and so it should be "me". I suppose the first example is confusing because at first glance it looks like "I" is the subject of "starting", but I think "starting" is actually a participle modifying "I".
Anyway, I hope that was clear, and wasn't unjustly nitpicking your grammar.
And, like I said, I liked the post.
So, about the grammar with "I" or "me". I'm not a grammar expert, but I was actually thinking about the idea of "I" or "me". I mean, people say on the phone all the time "this is her" and it should be "this is she". This is probably (I don't really know because I haven't really studied old English or anything) due to the confusion between the cases (nominative, dative, genetive, and accusative) which aren't so clearly defined in English anymore as they are in German...you probably took Latin, right? That deals with cases a lot, I hear, though I have never studied it myself...
People say, "this is me" all the time. I do too, but if you think about it, 'this' and 'me' are referring to the subject, which should make the 'me' an 'I' but for some reason (I'm not sure) we put it in the objective, like you were saying. I'm not sure I understood the rational for why it is sometimes correct to replace the subjective (nominative) for the objective (accusitive), but if you asked an expert, he would know a lot more than I do.
I was just thinking: "Emily and I are making a fire", but I just cut it down to "Emily and I"...
It would be really weird to see "I" below a picture instead of "me", I agree.
And, language is one of those things that sort of creates itself over time. Maybe there was a time when people would have said "this is I" while pointing at a picture...I mean, we're still supposed to say, "it is I" aren't we?
In German, for example, it would be ridiculous sounding to swap the subjective with the objective. The cases are still quite rigid...
This is all quite intriguing, actually...thanks for bringing it up!
Hilary,
I had a Classics minor at UI, so I've had several years of Latin, a year of Greek, and also a year of Old English.
Like German both Latin and Old English are inflected, but the inflections became less and less important in later Old English, and Middle English was no longer inflected. In modern English the only inflected forms are the pronouns, and since we use linking verbs so seldom, we tend to think you should use the objective when it follows the verb, the subjective when it preceeds it. (So "I am the man whom he hit" sounds weird because "whom" preceeds "hit" though technically it is correct.)
Also adding to the confusion is the fact that in modern English the difference between "he" and "him" never affects the meaning of the sentence. (Though in the KJV you occasionally find a place where it does, like I John 3:12 "And wherefore slew he him" makes sense while "And wherefore slew Cain Able" doesn't really.)
My point regarding this post was simply that we use "I" when it is the subject, and "me" when it is the object, but we also use "me" when it doesn't have a verb at all. (If you know French, which I don't, I think they use "moi" not "je" in similar circumstances. Thus, even in English we may reply "moi" to the question "who did this.")
Thanks for posting ALLLL those pictures, they're great...to think I had the opportunity to join the Boothman family up at Grandma's and passed it up.....what was I thinking? Well, it looks like a good time was had by all. You do a great job choosing photo's that effectively express all they days happenings.
~C~
Hilary,
We are shamelessly begging for a cider party post with photos. It is the first time in YEARS that we have not been there.
Aunt Tess
Ok, I'm going to try to update my blog soon!
Post a Comment