Maybe I never new how meaningful milk was to me until I opened the fridge this morning and discovered that someone had purchased milk and not only that...they had purchased 1.5% milk.
Let me explain...
I really love the fresh, whole milk that we get straight from the farmer. It's creamy and tasty--it defines milky-goodness. But it's so much! I mean, I can't imagine something better for Tea, but having it all the time in my cereal and stuff is just a little much. Plus, having 1.5% milk reminds me of my home.
I guess I'm not going to church with the rest of the family today. I left my bike in Bad-godesberg on Friday night because...well I'll have to explain that one too.
So I mentioned that it's been raining on and off for pretty much the entire week. When I say it rains, I mean it POURS. It doesn't sprinkle, it's like you're-drenched-in-two-minutes rain.
Scenario:
My friend Andrea calls and lets me know when the movie we want to watch is playing. I, living quite a distance from the city, look at my watch, run like a flash upstairs, scrummaged all my stuff together with speed like never before, and asked Vincens when the bus comes. Perfect: 2 minutes ago.
I look outside and see a few drops starting to fall. In less than a minute it's precipitating full-force. Reality hits me. If I wait for the rain to pass, I'll miss the train in Bad-godesberg. So, off with the bike it is. I don my bright-yellow, water-repelling poncho and head out.
Before I get to the bottom of my hill my face is completely soaked, and before I get to the top of the next slope I've got about a liter of water collected in the poncho-created lake between my handlebars.
I drive harder, determined to get to the train on time, but have to stop about 5 minutes into it because 1) I can't see very well, and 2) the lake between my hands is getting really heavy and I'm afraid it's all going to spill on me. I stop and dump out the lake which, to my great dismay, lands primarily on my left foot. Drat. Oh well.
Water is running in cascades from my knees down (where the Poncho doesn't cover) but I press on. I realize that I am creating some kind of airflow that is causing the poncho to fly up in the back which is 1) very intelligent looking, and 2) isn't very practical. It's probably just due to my terrific speeds.
I am nearing Bad-godesberg when it occurs to me that the rain is letting up. Letting up very fast. I make it to the train station with time to spare and the weather is normal: a few little rain droplets lingering in the air--and here I am, absolutely soaked through from the knees down.
I park my bike at the station, slop and sludge in and take the train to Bonn. And that is the saga of howcome my bike is not here to ride to church. I'm going to go to second service with either the bus or by foot.
In Bonn I watched Kung Fu Panda. It was quite clever and funny. Andrea and I both laughed out loud in the theatre...
Then I went and joined the Navi-women for the evening. We talked and had a great time. I had this really interesting drink. I had one of these for the first time when I was with Alex and Angela in March. Are you ready for this?
It's called cherry-banana juice. Yep. I strongly dislike artificial cheery flavour (though I LOVE real cherries) and I usually don't go for banana-ey things, but it--whatever it is--is made of not-artificial flavours. It would be really good to mix with yogurt and make a yogurt drink, I was just thinking...
I see blue skies out the window this morning, which is wonderful.
Today I'm going to spend some time studying for my Phonology test tomorrow. I can't really prepare for the writing one that I have because we're writing in class. That's another nice thing about language learning. It's so cumulative that if you learn steadily all the way along, then there's not a whole lot of studying you have to do at the end...or studying that you can do at the end.
I'm really excited about this week being over with. I'm dreading and looking forward to it--sort of. Part of looking forward to it is the knowledge that once I've done it is over...
Tomorrow is Mrs. C's birthday!!! Happy Birthday Mrs. C!!! Alles Gute zum Geburtstag! From the land of your birth I wish you: Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment