Saturday, March 22, 2008

Well, I finally downloaded some pictures. These are just random, but I'll try to explain them...
I don't know why, but I just get the biggest kick out of this sign. The kid and adult playing soccer in the road and a car driving up... I guess it means "be careful because there will likely be kids (and grown-ups?) playing in this road" but I just think it's really comical, I don't know why...Check out that kid's leg-action!

This is where I spend a good 15 hours every week...In this little room on the fourth floor of this old building. That is Margaret in the white shirt. She's from Louisiana and she's cool. She eats crawfish. The teacher sits at that bigger table and then writes on a white-board that's behind her and on the wall opposite the window. this pillar thingy in the middle makes it really irritating sometimes, because from some angles, it's hard to read them... Our teacher is really great though...


The other week when I came home Stephanie, a lady from church, and her kids were having lunch at our house. Amadeus is between Jeremias and Samuel, her sons. They were having a blast and being really cute...This picture is in the kitchen, where we spend a lot of time.

You're probably thinking "what the heck is this picture", and I'll admit that it is rather random, but let me explain...

It all started when I realized the drastic and scary difference between American and European toilets (toilette?). Ok, mostly German and Dutch and Polish, because I haven't been everywhere in Europe. Anyway... I find them rather creepy at times, not just because they are public toilets--which is reason enough on it's own to be a little creepafied--but that they are like air-tight cells! Seriously, all public bathrooms have like full-blown doors, no cracks, no way to escape if the heavy-duty-lock-with-a-key gets stuck. yeah.

Then, when I was going the bathroom at the university, i realized--to my great astonishment and relief--that this door was almost big enough so that in extreem danger I might have been able to squeeze myself out, or at least have air to breath if I were trapped. Amazing. I wonder what people would think when they saw the flimsy and sometimes almost non-existant barriers in our public bathrooms...


This is just a typical street that I walk by on my way to class everyday. It's beautiful, isn't it? I love the trees lining the street and I also love the houses. They are really, really skinny and like 3 or 4 stories tall. Also, I was walking to class yesterday, and for some reason started looking in the cars to see if they were stick-shift or automatics. I went down a city-block or two and didn't see one automatic. Almost everyone drives stick here...it's great. Even the von Bibra's big van is a stick-shift...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the bathroom photo!! I had a German exchange student who was appalled at American bathrooms because everyone could see you through the big cracks. She never mentioned the safety feature of being able to squeeze under the door...and aren't you glad you can drive a stick? It makes you much more Germanic! Mrs. M

Anonymous said...

I know! Funny about the bathrooms, because people seem to have smaller space bubbles here but really like their privacy in the bathromm--whereas in the states the bathrooms hardly have doors, but we have bigger space bubbles...I'm so glad that I can drive stick...HRB