Friday, October 1, 2010

Where are they hiding the whole-wheat flour?

I'm not sure where the whole wheat flour is. Um. I assumed it was the flour that had brown on the front of the bag. But when I went to make bread today (thinking I had mostly whole-wheat flour on hand) I found that the brown on the package simply meant "unbleached" white flour. So we're having white bread. I like home-made white bread, but now I'm getting to wondering how I missed the whole-wheat flour at the store. I don't know. I'll have to check next time I go to the store.

I had a birthday last week, which was pretty fun!

Megan made this delicious carrot cake. It was moist and had cream-cheese frosting on the top. Yum!

On Sunday, Tim made this very tasty German pancake. It was cooked to perfection. Did I mention that he made me dip-eggs and toast with bacon for my birthday breakfast? (Deliciously cooked Grandma-Boothman-style eggs.) Grandma knows how to cook great breakfast bacon and eggs, and Tim did a fantastic job as well! The yokes were nice and soft, perfect for dipping.
*********
Paula and Josh came to visit for my birthday and we had a really nice time with them. They brought us some fresh bread and fresh produce from the farmer's market in Pensacola. Thanks guys! We were missing fresh produce, and it's been really nice to have tasty veggies around the house.
They even got us some okra. But I've never cooked okra before, so I got busy searching for a do-able recipe for okra and found one for Jambalaya. I modified it to fit, and it turned out really tasty!

Fresh tomatoes-used in vegetable stew


Okra (I thought the twin okra was cool)


The finished Jumbalaya. Sausage, okra, canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, onions, chicken, spices...it's like the creole version of spanish rice, or something. It's more stewy than spanish rice, I think. It was quite tasty!
They also brought us peppers, eggplant and pattypan squash. I made a tasty veggie stew with those the other day. We've really enjoyed the fresh vegetables!
*****
Tim and I went to the beach earlier this week, and it was really great. The water was clear (no more seaweed) and nice. Tim went swimming, and we're hoping to go again this weekend.
I should also mention that the weather has been much better. Wow. I just checked and the temperature was 75.4 F at 51% humidity (10:08am). That's amazing. I went on a walk this morning and it was actually refreshing. It was feeling a bit hot in the sun, but the breeze actually cooled me down. Wonderful. I'm hoping this cooling trend keeps it up!
We also get to feel the baby kicking a lot, which is fun. Sometimes I can see my tummy bumping out when she moves!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good for you in being an experimental cooker. Okra always looked scary to me... what does it taste like? I'm so glad you could have some people over to help celebrate your birthday! Now, more belly pictures, please :)